Monday, May 25, 2009

Another wonderful reunion

My daughter is now about 2 1/2 and I had to take another business trip away from her. I wasn't sure we would be able to continue our nursing, but I know it means a lot to her (moms of nursing toddlers will understand) so I decided I would at least pump during my trip and let her decide as soon as I got home if she wanted to continue. Once again it was a grueling add on to an already packed work trip, but I somehow managed to make it a priority and kept up my supply while transversing the globe (I flew to Singapore and back). I had similar problems this trip, soreness that comes from exclusive pumping, slight engorgement, and exhaustion, but I knew what to expect and I had promised my daughter that even though I had to go she could continue nursing when I returned if she wanted to.

Our reunion was a joyous one, she is always so happy to see me and of course I cried upon seeing her and my husband. I guess the tears were for the time lost, and in just 8 days she really had grown and is talking a lot clearer. I offered her time to nurse as soon as we sat down for the metro ride home and she gladly accepted. She then surprised me by nursing almost non-stop for three hours while I rested (jet lag finally got me). She's still nursing a little more than usual (I think it helps her feel closer to me), but she's settled down a lot and seems to be as happy as ever.

Any working mom who is considering pumping while away on a trip should definitely try it, I truly believe nursing makes our separation easier, it keeps me attached and committed to my daughter and it gives her a little comfort before and after that only nursing can provide.

Hopefully I will not have to repeat this experiment for a while, and yes we are self-weaning so we'll just have to see how long that goes. For now I take it one day at a time and enjoy our closeness because I am sure all too soon she will be an independent little girl and no longer my nursling.

1 comment:

Steve and Beth Smith said...

I love your posts! Your writing is so spot on and wise beyond your years! We too are self weaning and as far as I can tell there is no slow down in sight as we are nearing two. I felt the same when she was nearly one. Nursing continues to be her main source of nutrition, but its more than that- its the band-aid for every boo-boo; its the closeness we share and its the you-make-me-feel-good comfort. I love the connection my daughter and I have and I love that I am still doing the best I can for her by continuing to nurse. I let slide off my back the questions of when will you stop and comments that follow. Its none of "their" business. My usual answer is, "well, I think we'll stop when she goes to college." I get uncomfortable laughs but it stops the prying. Yea from an outsider's point of view they think 2 is old enough; but from inside this nursing relationship it isnt- its not about age, that magically at this age limit you must stop. I think its sad when moms think that way like they have to stop even when they secretly wish to continue. But then again you have women who say things like I nursed 6 months longer than I wanted to... a woman I know who nursed her child to 11 months. When she says things like that its hard to congratulate her- she acts like the martyr to her child. She saw nursing as a chore, as something she reluctantly did for her baby. My response to her is nothing. There is nothing I can say to that. Sigh. I wish the people with negative opinions about extended nursing would do the same by following the old adage, "If you have nothing nice to say, than don't say it at all!"