Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pregnant nursing

Today we are officially 12 weeks pregnant...yay! I thought I had experienced all the nursing difficulties, but being pregnant and nursing has introduced some new challenges to our nursing relationship. One, I am exhausted...well, not so much now, but at first I was exhausted and nursing once a night just robbed that sleep I so desperately craved. Two, I am very hormonal and my poor husband and daughter now get the brunt of that. Settling an upset two year old just isn't as easy when your patience got up and left the building months ago.

All in all, nursing while pregnant isn't bad. In fact it has actually started helping me sleep a little more and gives me some one-on-one time while my daughter while just sitting (more like laying) there doing nothing but looking at her and tell her how wonderful she is and how much I love her. Plus there is the added benefit of a little extra time with her. My husband and I very much want her to be a part of the pregnancy (she is after all a member of the family too) so she comes to all our prenatal appointments and we are even taking a private birth class (Bradley method childbirth) so she can come and be involved...although she plays more than she pays attention to the teacher. So anyways all in all, I completely recommend breastfeeding while pregnant, but be prepared for new challenges and remember sometimes it's ok to distract your toddler or offer a cup of apple juice instead when you are just so exhausted the thought of making even a little milk drains what energy your growing baby didn't already suck away...hehe

Here's the best information I've found on breastfeeding while pregnant http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/pr2.asp (let's face it, there isn't really that much out there). If you come upon a time when you are facing a pregnancy and still nursing at least give it the first trimester, now that we're onto our 12th week my energy and most of my appetite has returned so I'm glad I stuck it out. Although I still find myself limiting my night nursing now, for the emotional well being of the entire family...a tired & hormonal mom is not usually a happy mom...hehe

No comments: