Tuesday, June 30, 2009

ipump



After two years, 6 months, and one day I have decided I am officially done pumping at work. This is a deeply emotional decision, I'll miss pumping (well for the most part).

We began weaning when my daughter started solid foods at six months, that's actually the medical definition of weaning too, and so we now step the process up just a notch. She's still allowed to nurse as much as she wants, but with the decrease in supply I'm sure will follow not pumping during the day I expect she will self wean earlier than she would have if I were to continue pumping.

Anyways, this post is to celebrate our decision (I say ours because my husband and I have both decided it's time and our daughter is nursing a lot less when I am home so she kind of has had a say in this too).

The top three reasons to pump:

1. Staying connected while apart, pumping always turns my thoughts from work to home.

2. Stress relief - sometimes if work got really stressful for me I'd stop and go pump, those hormones really do the trick and calm me down.

3. Weight loss - I gained 50 pounds while pregnant and have lost every single one of them since then and I really do believe the extra effort put into nursing helped them come off easier than just if I had dieted and worked out.

Don't worry this won't be the end of my breastfeeding blog, there are plenty of more exciting events to still talk about!

No comments: