Friday, October 9, 2009

We're done

We'll after 2 years, 9 months, 1 week, and 2 days we are finally officially done nursing. At least it seems that my daughter has weaned herself. For the past couple of days she has only nurse 1 or two times and then yesterday none at all even though I offered (flashing the good and everything). My daughter just said put juice away, so I did. Adventures in Tandem Nursing says to expect this, especially with the changes the milk goes through so I was not surprised, but I was a little sad at first.
Hey though, we made it longer than most and self-weaned. Two big accomplishments!

It's now time to relax until our baby comes (early April). We've already decided we'll let our daughter nurse again when the baby gets here to if she decides to. Just incase I'm finishing up Adentures in Tandem Nursing so I'll know what to expect and we'll see where this new adventure takes us. It's will be strange not nursing for a few months, I've always had a little one hanging off me multiple times a day, now my breasts belong to me again and it's a weird feeling but also very nice not to have to worry about that. Perhaps I should invest in some regular bras (after almost three years all I own is nursing bras...why buy anything else?).

I'll still be recording my nursing with our next baby so stay tunned, I want to start with different changes and things that happen so you can read from the begining what nursing is really like.

1 comment:

Steve and Beth Smith said...

Congrats!! You both did it! You reached your goal of self weaning and your daughter actually did it! Awesome! You are truly a role model for nursing moms out there! I think more moms should read your site. I appreciate it very much. Its nice because Emily is older than my daughter so I can get a glimpse of what maybe my child will do. We are 25 months strong with nursing and it feels like no end in sight. I love being able to provide for her thus long and only hope I can provide for as long as she needs me to. Our nursing relationship is strong so I don't think that will be so much of a problem but I worry sometimes. She eats food and nurses and seems very happy to do both. Sometimes she nurses more than she eats, it depends on the day- so right now I wonder when she will self wean... but I enjoy the closeness and the amazing feeling that I am giving her the best "juice" for her. Its very empowering to be super mom! ;)
Back to you- I am happy for you! And wish you well in with baby #2!