Thursday, July 24, 2008

For as long as you both shall nurse…

I’m a Navy Reservist and yesterday I had a 6 hour physical. Aside from being extremely fun (not) it was long enough that I had to pump at least once less I make a puddle on the floor and soak the little gown they gave me to wear while waiting for the doctor. I asked the nurse if, since the wait would be at least 30 more minutes, I could sneak out to pump milk for my daughter and then come back. We’ll this caused a very big commotion that surprisingly ended every nice. I expected to get lectured about why nursing my 18m old daughter was not needed and even if I was, why was I pushing do to it right then. Instead I found an understanding gentleman that mentioned to me “It is a shame that breastfeeding is looked upon so negatively in the US. In other countries it is normal to see women walking down the street and feeding their baby.” He then let me borrow his office so I had a chair and not a toilet to sit on and even let me keep my pump in his office instead of the baggage area. That was a pleasant surprise; I was ready for a fight.

There is only one thing that can be said about the length of time you nurse, it should be according to you and your child’s desires not your in-law, parents, best friend, or neighbors. The World Health Organization recommends two years and I honestly believe I can see the difference between my daughter and other children that weren’t nursed as long and the benefits (I feel) are far beyond medical in nature.

Extended breastfeeding may not be for some people, but let’s be less judgmental and more understanding. We are only trying to be the best parents we can be.

No comments: